Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Parabola Sir

My 1st reaction on completion of this Narayan Sanyal novel was, "Alas! if only I had a teacher like this"
But trully speaking, if a character like Satyaban Chakrabarty nicknamed 'Parabola' Sir (by his students) would have really been my educator, then with all the petty sins that I commit regularly, I would have been forced to maintain a safe distance from this person radiating an aura of truthfulness.
Yes, Narayan Sanyal's 'Parabola' Sir can be considered as the ultimate symbol of truth and honesty who never compromised with truth even if that cost him his social life and had inflicted great pains on him continuously. So it is not a mystery that this man should be a maths teacher as obsession to something devoid of cowardice, emotions and solely based on logic can be his only way of venting his passions.
Narayan Sanyal's portrayal of the fictitious Satyaban Chakrabarty is also the work of a skilled writer who never misses the minutest detail. One of my friends had once commented that each of Narayna Sanyal's work is the result of an extensive research and really while going through this piece, I found how true his comment was. The whole story is full of mathematical expressions and quotations from theorems that is dexterously used to reflect the appropriate mood of the various situations and to cap it all the chapter numbers have been replaced by excerpts from mathematical proofs though the latter is just for ornamentation and bears no meaning to the actual context of the sections. As a whole this piece is a fine specimen of Narayan Sanya's ability of character analysis but a little less emotion could have been considered to give it a more realistic touch.

6 comments:

Ram Prasad said...

HI, Anirban,

I had read the book in class VIII and now I am dying to read the book again. Now I am in chennai where I could not search the book. Can u help me to get the book.

RAM

anirban said...

Dear Ramprasad,
I've read this from a local library. But if u want the book u can look into Dey's publications. Do you come to Calcutta often?? in that case I'm sure u'll get the book in college street.

Patra said...

I am a huge fan of Narayan Sanyal. I read Biswasghatak when i was in 9 standard. It compleetly change my vision. I have read many of his books. I have personal collection of Narayan Sanyal's books.

Anonymous said...

This was possible as his teacher was also nicknamed as "Hyperbola" Sir (by his students including himself), this novel also says that he also had the same personality as this guy, however his name was Taraprasanna Ray, and he first became that guy's teacher and that guy first became his student and he then became that guy's uncle-in-law and that guy then became his nephew-in-law when the former married a daughter of the latter's elder brother

anirban said...

Dear Dude!!
why do you choose to remain anonymous with this kind of knowledge!! your treatment to the title gives a glimpse of your depth of understanding that seems as great as the distance between the tail of a hyperbola with its axis as they both tends to infinity
you belong to the world of trolls (the Lord of the Rings kind might be a bit too dangerous for your sensitive soul but the social nw types will be a more preferred bait!!) where your intelligence will be better appreciated!! thank you for your visit to the blog! but better leave the humble bloggers to their humble spaces, it will be increasingly difficult digesting your voluminous analytics which will be better appreciated where giants in this field dwell!!

Anonymous said...

Dear @AnirbanD, I would like to tell you that I am neither a troll nor a "Lord Of The Rings", I do not have any " sensitive soul" as you are saying, however despite having this much knowledge, I chose to remain anonymous for the fear of trolls