Friday, January 21, 2011

The Red Thumb Mark

I’d read about Dr. Thorndyke in one of the Bengali translations - most probably by Hemendra Kumar Roy, at an very early age, but had remembered the distinct class of the style which was a kind of reverse detection and Richard Austin Freeman, the creator seemed to have pioneered it. Though I love mystery stories of the straight type but as I aged, this had still lingered in my memories as was evident when I came across one of his collections from the cyber world. Soon after this, I also found this novel. I’m glad that this was a type of straight detective novels where the perpetrator of crime was unveiled at the very last. Slightly monotonous at places but gradually racing to its climax, the criminal was obvious from the middle. Infact it was so obvious that I started to doubt the innocent persons as to be the evils. But having said that it must also be said that this obviousness to the villain does not, in any way, diminish the beauty of the story as the technique of the crime, when explained, as well as certain other technical aspects gives much food for thought and the mystery evolves not in the actual crime but the way it was committed. Finally, it must also be said that the old Victorian touch to the story offers a relief from the current mystery stories that are more adventurous than brainstorming.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I’d read about Dr. Thorndyke in one of the Bengali translations - most probably by Hemendra Kumar Roy.

Can you tell me the name of the book of Hemendra Kumar Roy?