Friday, October 28, 2011

Coma

The first time I'd come across this book was in a second hand bookstore and knowing its popularity I'd at once picked it up. But a rude shock was in store for me when, after flipping through first few pages I found that several of the pages were blank white sheets. Grossly dissapointed as I returned it to the store, no other copy was available of it. Though the story remained unfinished for me but the suspense had already been sensed. So when I came across the narrative a second time, I wasted no time but started on it voraciously. Being already  familiar with Cook's novels, from the very first page the story absorbed me fully and the thrill mounted in a monotone that was rather enjoyable but for the very climax that seemed too much abrupt. The medical terms that crowd Robin Cook's novel, never seemed, in this one, a botheration as the medical rationale was established at each instance. The bad thing was using the terms while describing the simplest of incidents where it seemed too much of an overhead. Though the thrill was very well equated with no compromise on the actual storyline certain events appeared too much of an oversimplification with coincidences playing quite a major part. But overall the medical mystery and adventure makes it a classic thriller.

No comments: