Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Sarbanashinee

The story handed over to me by one of my webfriends can be considered a collector's item just because it is written by none other than P(n)achkadi De, one of the pioneers of Bengali detective fiction. But strangely enough this was not a mystery story and as I was beginning to feel disappointed about it, soon the mood changed as it unfolded to a gripping horror narrative set in the hills of North Bengal. Little did I knew about Shri De but for this short story that introduced the author with his complete literary skill as fear unfolded silently as the story progressed. Designed in a series of letters a horrifying incident seem to repeat as the thirsty spirit craved for human sacrifices to redeem the sin committed long ago. Maybe this plot, not apparently such a novel one now, had been the inspiration for several authors down the line whose works are more popular to us and whose penmanship had metamorphosed the plot in various hues through the ages. It had been a revelation to me and I think I am starting to become a fan of the author.

No comments: