Friday, April 05, 2013

Goynar Baksho

Eager with the curiosity of what the story is all about that is to be brought to screen recently I started reading the novel and surprising myself, I finished it at record pace. This has been my first approach to Shirshendu's stories for the adult and I became more obsessed to continue reading his stories of the genre as I completed this. A story encompassing three generations, the style that is followed, has at once kept the readers engrossed, not only by its content but also in the element of surprise. Written from the perspective of two ladies the plot has unfolded itself centering a jewellery box left in the possession of apparently the least likely family member. Curiously enough the story consists of ghost but the seriousness of the central theme has not at all compromised. The finale is also reminiscent of a classic where the readers know what the culmination is but the subtlety is reserved for the imaginative ones. The virtues of generations contrasting with frustrations and worries, the decaying Bengalee nobility with their false ego, the spirit of the present generation, the confusions  surrounding true romance, all had been sketched to perfection to bring out a grand orchestra. Being a fan of his stories for the young, I once more fell in love with the works of Mukhopadhyay, this time for the older readers.

No comments: