Tuesday, June 18, 2013

The Twelfth Card

This had been the first Lincoln Rhyme novel that I read. I'd watched Bone Collector a long way back but not until (not so) recently I got to know that the character is recurrent and appears in a series. Well after that I didn't delay in getting one of the novels, chosen arbitrarily in the form of what came in my hand first, as Bone Collector had made a lasting impression on me. There is a statment for the author made by People on the cover of the book describing him as the master of ticking-bomb suspebse. Well I didn't understand its meaning fully till I got through some of the real edge-of-the-seat sequences depicted in the book and after that I couldn't agree more with the phrase for Deavers, a real master of suspense.
After Thorndyke and some of the medical thrillers of Robin Cook I can't find anybody close to this forensic investigator and Amelia Sachs.
The curious way in which a school goer becomes the target of a master killer starts Lincoln in the track of an age old crime and as the mastermind does all to mislead the investigators, Sachs and Rhyme gets back to him in style along with the NYPD. With several plots and twists, the novel gets more and more exciting as it proceeds. It seems Lincoln's scientific bend of mind with proper reasoning profiles the criminals accurately and it remains for the force to nab him. But the foe becomes increasingly shrewder and thus Rhyme is challenged more than ever. The readers will thus enjoy the book to the fullest that promises slight sentiments for the comleteness that it is due.

No comments: